* These concessionary rates are available for students or those working in the not-for-profit sector
Your SoBRA profile is used by SoBRA officials only as a means to contact you. This information will not be shared with any other organisation.
Here you can join SoBRA, or renew your membership.
SoBRA membership costs £25 per year and allows you access to a wealth resources exclusively available to SoBRA members. A concessionary rate of £10 is available here for those employed by not for profit organisations. Examples of not-for-profit organisations include local authority staff , students and university staff.
As a SoBRA member you can book your place on a SoBRA workshop or conference, and you’ll have early access to an increasing body of SoBRA reports and presentations via this website. For more information about the ethos and aims of SoBRA see our ‘About Us’ section.
Please note that the only post nominals associated with SoBRA are RSoBRA and ASoBRA and are for sole use by those members who are accredited through the SoBRA scheme. More information can be found on the accreditation pages of our website.
Claiming tax relief on professional fees
Your SoBRA membership fee is what HMRC classify as professional membership fees. You can therefore claim tax relief on annual subscriptions you pay to approved professional bodies, of which SoBRA is one. SoBRA can be found on the HMRC list of approved professional organisations and learned societies under ‘Brownfield Risk Assessment Society of, with effect from the 2012 to 2013 tax year’.
Please be aware you cannot claim tax relief for professional membership fees or annual subscriptions you:
- have not paid yourself (for example if your employer has paid for them directly or indirectly e.g. if you have claimed your membership fee back from your employer via expenses)
- have paid to professional organisations that are not approved by HMRC
Membership fees and refunds
SoBRA will, as a gesture of goodwill, refund any membership fees paid in error within 14 days of the due date, please refer to our refund policy. Refund requests should be made to [email protected] including:
- the SoBRA member name
- email address linked to their membership
- date the payment was made
- name of the payer (normally the SoBRA member) or name of the PayPal account from which the payment was made
Refunds will be made into the named PayPal or named bank account from which the original payment was made.